Testing the oscilloscope linux version

i think you shouldn’t have to move anything.

what’s the make error you get?

It was simple enough to remove the folder I added in there… This is what I get when I run scripts/prepare.sh linux64

cp: cannot stat ‘addons/ofxAvCodec/libs/avcodec/lib/linux64/*’: No such file or directory

I am still looking into this. I think I failed by using ofxAvCodec-libs-0.1 instead of -0.2

Rich

on linux you can pretty much skip this step, because the system ffmpeg libraries will be found.

so either disable the ffmpeg-lib copying for in the prepare script, or do the prepare step manually. it isn’t too much work at all: copy the contents of local_addons//bin/data or local_addons//data/ to bin/data. that should be it pretty much.

ps. yes, codec-libs-0.1 won’t work, and i don’t think i ever prepare linux binaries for 0.2

You were right. This should work right out of the box. I recorded my steps. Here is the walk through for my Ubuntu 20 machines. I will go pick another untouched unit and verify once again, that I did not make a mistake.

cd
wget -c https://openframeworks.cc/versions/v0.10.1/of_v0.10.1_linux64gcc6_release.tar.gz
tar -zxvf of_v0.10.1_linux64gcc6_release.tar.gz
mv of_v0.10.1_linux64gcc6_release OF
cd OF/scripts/linux/ubuntu
sudo ./install_dependencies.sh
cd
cd OF/scripts/linux
./compileOF.sh -j2
./compilePG.sh -j2
cd
cd OF/apps/myApps
git clone --recursive https://github.com/kritzikratzi/Oscilloscope.git
cd Oscilloscope
scripts/clean.sh
cp -R addons/ofxMightyUI/bin/data/* bin/data/
cp -R addons/ofxFontAwesome/bin/data/* bin/data/
make -j2
sudo apt-get install libboost-filesystem1.67.0 -y
bin/Oscilloscope

hi!

i think you can even try without running compileOF and compilePG. but those also don’t hurt :slight_smile:

not so bad actually ^^

I am starting the whole process again on a machine that never saw any of this code. I will skip the compileOF and compilePG and see if it still builds properly… I’ll be done within an hour.

Rich

For my final test of the day, I did this on a Ubuntu 16.04.6 machine… This is the final walk through. I did not have to install any dependencies. All that was done to the machine was in this list and the program worked flawlessly. I did not run the compileOF or compilePG this time. Open Frameworks does the “compileOF” automatically when it’s called upon for the first time…

cd
wget -c https://openframeworks.cc/versions/v0.10.1/of_v0.10.1_linux64gcc6_release.tar.gz
tar -zxvf of_v0.10.1_linux64gcc6_release.tar.gz
mv of_v0.10.1_linux64gcc6_release OF
cd OF/scripts/linux/ubuntu
sudo ./install_dependencies.sh
cd
cd OF/apps/myApps
git clone --recursive https://github.com/kritzikratzi/Oscilloscope.git
cd Oscilloscope
scripts/clean.sh
cp -R addons/ofxMightyUI/bin/data/* bin/data/
cp -R addons/ofxFontAwesome/bin/data/* bin/data/
make -j2
bin/Oscilloscope

Rich

Oh, I almost forgot… Thank you for your assistance. I appreciate it. I was getting quite frustrated and was about to throw in the towel… :wink:

Rich

this is great. can you send me a PR on github with the changed readme (also add yourself to the “contributors” section).

and yes, if you don’t know OF it’s too many unexpected steps. on top of that maintaining all the readmes and stuff is a bit too much work and not my top priority tbh… thanks back! :slight_smile:

I’m not entirely sure how to do that.

Feel free to quote what I wrote anywhere you want. I enjoyed getting this to build properly at home… No need to mention me, I honestly didn’t contribute anything… Yet…

Rich

done. this is great… finally some movement in the linux version :slight_smile: thx again!

OMG, that’s awesome. Thanks…

Well, I spend TOO much time in Linux, so I guess if you ever need a tester, I’ll always be around…

I know you’ve heard this before, so, you don’t have to answer… Is porting Oscistudio to Linux simple or far too complicated for it to be worthwhile for now?

Rich

It’s beyond the scope of this thread, but I want to toss in some clarification on one of my earlier posts. I do not get remote audio, the audio still plays on the remote machine…

Update:

I ran the full install instructions on the two computers that would not run the precompiled binary. It installed flawlessly and the new executable works properly. I’m not sure how one goes about making an executable that works on all chips. If I had the answer to that, I could build an executable and test to ensure it works on every chip here…

Rich

the next oscistudio version seems to get further and further out with every day. the big new feature is to hugely improve timelines, which is a TON of work. (i also sometimes just let it sit for weeks tbh)

oscistudio for linux is not guaranteed, but on the horizon. i started porting and it’s looking good so far. i won’t release before the dreaded timelines though :slight_smile:

ps. thx for testing on two more computers!

I managed to get OpenFrameworks installed on the Raspberry Pi 4 properly. I was able to compile and run their included examples. I got quite a collection of errors when attempting to run make on Oscilloscope. I logged the failed attempt at compiling.

Is this something you are interested in, or is Linux for the PC going to be the only supported platform? Honestly, I probably wouldn’t use a Raspberry version often… I use Oscistudio to view stuff I created and I typically spent that time at a real pc…

Rich

tbh my interest in raspi is limited also ^^

feel free to post the error log and i might be able to tell you if it’s a world of hurt or not. but my next steps for oscilloscope would be more along the lines of:

• final touches, then release current version for win/mac/linux
  • rename/give more precise name (oscilloscope simulator or oscilloscope emulator or smthg like that)
  • debian/ubuntu package so it’s easier to install

The log is kinda big for a post, so I put it online. Looking at those errors, it looks like a world of hurt.

https://www.teslaunderground.com/uploads/RaspberryOscilloscopeLog.txt